Saturday, January 25, 2014

Birthday cake for two

Daughter and husband have birthdays very close together in January, also they live very far from us. So when they come to visit, as they did around Christmas, we had to celebrate.

I asked them what they wanted on their cake, but neither of them had much to offer, except my son-in-law, who said, "Put a quarter on it, since I'm turning 25." So I did. My daughter turned 24, so I incorporated a penny, as in subract a penny from a quarter and you have 24 cents.

First, a picture of the doodles I put on the side. I had leftover frosting and thought I would have a little fun trying my hand at curliques. Also, yes, I did a rough slap-on of white frosting on the top. Circumstances made this the best option. I kind of like the "unfinished" look.


The circles are made out of fondant, tinted with food coloring. No, that is not a 2.5, it is a 25, but the angle and the fondant make it look like a 2.5. Anyway, you can't tell from the photo, but I dusted the quarter with silver edible metallic dust, and the penny with bronze. Made 'em look shiny. 
Of course the heads were hard to pipe. My pre-cake drawing of Georgie looked MUCH better than how it turned out with icing. Oh well. No one cared, it's edible all the same. Anyway, It was a fun concept cake to do and despite the one fallen layer (which I will blame wholly on my husband who baked them) it turned out pretty good. I hid the fallen part with extra icing on top so it didn't look so caved in. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment