Saturday, March 23, 2013

Marceline of Adventure Time

I made this cake this past week for my daughter. In case you don't know, the character is Marceline from the cartoon Adventure Time.

It's done in fondant, which I find disgusting to eat, but easy to work with as a decorating medium. I just peel the fondant off my slice of cake and apply leftover buttercream frosting before I eat it. Youngest daughter and son like fondant to eat, though, so they don't mind me using it. 

I used a printed picture as a pattern for the face/neck shape and the cutout portion of the hair. For the face, I added a little bit of periwinkle blue coloring to the white fondant to give Marceline's skin an added wan-ness (she's a vampire). The hair is black fondant that I bought at the store. I am so glad Michael's sells colored fondant. I wasn't looking forward to dyeing fondant black. My hands would have hated me for days for the dye beating they would have taken.

I did what little facial expression with piping. The vampire teeth are tiny little cones of white fondant. 

I don't like piping on the mouth because from every vantage point except straight on, it looks funny. The 3D effect places the piping on top, which looks funny for a mouth. If I had more time, more patience, and less shaky hands with delicate processes, I would have cut a mouth out of the face and piped inside the hole to make it flatter, more like the 2D cartoon that Marceline is. 

My favorite part of this whole cake is the spiky hair that extends past the edges of the cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment